Friday, November 27, 2009

How in the hell am I acting white?

Not a day goes by at school or anywhere else that people ask me if my hair is real. Is it because I'm black? People say that my hair is like a white girls. It hurts my feelings to think that people ask those questions because they believe that black girls can't have long hair.



Also, I listen to bands like Coldplay, Goldfrapp and Daft Punk. I hardly ever listen to rap. I try not to speak ebonics and I talk properly a lot. White people tell me that I act white and black people tell me to stop acting white. I talk about my plans to go to college and be a successful writer or model and my black friends just roll their eyes. Black boys don't even associate with me often anymore because they say I'm too white for them. They speak ebonics, wear their pants down to their butts and just act ghetto. The black girls embarrass me. They're so obnoxious and it makes me think that other people will categorize me as apart of them.



I don't understand it at all. I'm called an Oreo now. Help...



How in the hell am I acting white?

People enjoy clinging to stereotypes, and they dislike it when people don't fit into their molds - so they try and break it down, and force them to rever to more acceptable behaviours.



It's a sad statement that in your area, wanting to go to college is associated with being 'white'. At the end of the day, these kid's opinions don't matter at all - going to college not only increases your chance at success, but it really is an amazing experience. You'll be out of high school soon enough, and I'm sure you'll find college a much more enjoyable place! You leave most of the stupid folk behind, and with them - their silly ideas and stereotypes. I'm not saying college is perfect, but believe me when I say it's definitely worth shooting for and a lot better than what you seem to be dealing with.



And you're definitely not the only black person that likes rock, and things that aren't rap and hip hop. Right now a Japanese rock band is touring the US, and I went to their Atlanta show - and there was more than a few of us black people there. We didn't get any flack, or a double look. Just your average fan.



The whole world isn't like it, and I think right now - you need to just raise your chin, and ignore them. Keep aiming for college, because it'll be such a great place for you. Trust me. ;D



How in the hell am I acting white?

You aren't acting white. You are acting educated and smart. How would it look for some of your "friends" to go to a college interview and speak ebonics? No one would be able to understand them. They are just acting stupid.



How in the hell am I acting white?

I'd say if your listening to the music you want to and your speaking correct english and your hair is beautiful, then they are jealous. Who cares. Be yourself. You will go alot further in life than most that are just acting ignorant because it's "cool".



How in the hell am I acting white?

Just be yourself babe! Only you know what's right for you. Besides, most of those punk-*** gangsta wannabes are going to be dead before they're 30. I'm sure you want more out of life than that!



How in the hell am I acting white?

The comments of others do not define or describe you. Pay no attention, just be yourself.



People who judge others in this way are deeply confused.



Does it really mater what the confused think?



Your fine just the way you are, don't let the comments of others make you change in any way.



Love and blessings Don



How in the hell am I acting white?

so what ... why would u want to act uncultured and uneducated just to fit in with a color ... be urself ...



How in the hell am I acting white?

i don't understand what is to act white or black, as for me you act as a samrt person with goals in your life. Don't worry about that narrow minded people. Do your thing



How in the hell am I acting white?

You aren't acting 'white' you are acting like yourself.



Black people who play out racial stereotypes by talking 'ebonics' or by dressing and acting the way you describe aren't being themselves, and are doing themselves and other blacks a disservice.



They reinforce the negative stereotypes, and then wonder why they are stuck in the situations they find themselves in.



Be yourself - don't let anyone tell you how you should be. (including me)



How in the hell am I acting white?

wow what a predicament. Dont pay attention to what anybody says. It seems like you have a great future ahead of you if you stay on track and not let their peer pressure bring you down. Look at it this way... What are all your friends going to be doing in the next 5-10 years? With your goals and ambitions, you will have made it in this world. And they will be working McDonalds or somewhere, thats what their ebonics and baggy pants are going to get them. There are plenty of black girls who like that type of music, and talk properly. What it sounds like is they are sterotyping. Are your friends trying to say that since your black you have to talk ebonics, have weave in your hair, wear baggy clothing? Everybody is different regardless of the color of their skin. Good luck!



How in the hell am I acting white?

self-hatered is a pitiful thing.



Having long hair (Im willing to bet you go through much trouble and expense to straighten it) has nothing to do with being white. Niether does speaking proper english. Or going to college for that matter.



You said yourself you are embarrassed by black people, so, to me, its sounds like you are embarrased to be black. That is why black people don't like you. Because you try so hard not to be everything YOU THINK black people are.



I meet people where they are. I can speak the king's english or just holla at my boys (ya feel me).



I think you have a lot of learning to do about what it is to be black. And some of those obnoxious black girls you know could use the same education.



You need to go to a black college. It will expose you to a diversity of black folks. Not just the knuckleheads you grew up around.



How in the hell am I acting white?

I feel u. U need to just keep being yourself because there has to be some people out to represent the black race without being ghetto. i'm black and i don't act ghetto that doesn't mean i'm white. Because u shouldn't act like media protray what's supposed to be black. Black people can talk correct english, have long hair and want to succeed in life.



How in the hell am I acting white?

This is tough. High school sometimes sucks for intelligent and sophisticated people such as yourself. Students don't know how to categorize you. They want you to fit into their cliques, but it sounds like you are more of an independent thinker.



What is considered "black" is full of many useless stereotypes put out by rappers who are selling an image. Look to other black role models and you will see that you're as black as the best of them. It's not really black culture they're going on about actually, it's hip-hop culture and a dialect of English.



To turn the situation to your advantage, you could ask some of your black friends to teach you ebonics and introduce a few rappers you should check out. You have the opportunity to participate in their group and to learn what they know. As far as the obnoxious girls go, you may never fit in to their groups, but would you want to? You probably make them jealous. This is painful at the moment (consider changing schools?) but a few years from now you won't see any of them and you'll be able to laugh about this.



Peace.



Charles Cox



How in the hell am I acting white?

I don't think you are acting white either. Besides, you don't need to try to act black, you ARE black. Not all black people like rap. Not all white people want to go to college and/or want to be successful.



I don't think color even enters into the way you are "acting." You are "acting" like a well-educated young woman with a good head on your shoulders. I was able to tell a lot about you by reading your post. Pay those idiots no mind--you'll leave them in the dust soon enough anyway.



How in the hell am I acting white?

Oh my, I see the same kinds of people at my school but they don't say that I act white



The whole music thing, listen to whatever you want. I don't like rap either and almost listen to everything but that, man ignorance is something else



And it just kills me how black females (especially the younger ones) don't know anything about their hair; over the past few weeks I have heard many things from black females that I find disturbing



How in the hell am I acting white?

Do you give a sh!t what people think about you? As long as you pursue what you want in life, and do what you have to do to get it, AND you know you're a good person, you will be happy everyday.



How in the hell am I acting white?

I kind of second $0.02's comment. But then again I sort of understand what you are saying, partly because you are in school and the uneducated have not opened up their minds greatly enough to see passed color and catergorization.



I am sort of (in a way) like that because I dont dress ghetto, I dont talk ghetto, I had super long hair in school (because of my background),etc , and the list goes on and on. But your last statement disturbed me: "The black girls embarrass me. They're so obnoxious and it makes me think that other people will categorize me as apart of them."



You are embarassed to be a part of THEM or BLACK CULTURE? Be more descriptive when you talk because I will have to tear you down for this one. Either way, this sounds very asinine and disturbing, because you claim you are one way and you are trying sort of hard not to be catergorized with the other blacks when in fact YOU ARE (dont worry your time will come as it has for ALL of us blacks).



Anyway, as for the "Help..." part of the question, I would say in your situation, you should go to a black college with educated black people because It seems you are too young and underexposed to be classifying groups of people like this, when this is clearly inaccurate. Also, do some "self-help". You know, enlightenment, things of that nature.



Trust me you can go to college, comb your long hair or even dye it blonde, listen to coldplay, at a black college and they will accept you just the same.



Good Luck in life my dear!!!



How in the hell am I acting white?

Preach it!



How in the hell am I acting white?

It's okay...there is no such thing as acting white and there is no such thing as acting black. Be u...who cares? But if u think badly about your own culture, that's a problem and that would mean u r an oreo.



How in the hell am I acting white?

I know how you feel, trust me you aren't alone



How in the hell am I acting white?

I hate that: BLACK/WHITE! We're all people for god's sake!



Plz understand that.



By the way, I'm glad you like Coldplay. They are the best!



How in the hell am I acting white?

Don't get caught up in all that acting "white or "black" crap, it's all bull-s-h-i-t. You just act how ever the hell u wanna act, don't worry about what anyone says. People will respect u for being u and not caring wat people think. And for the record i hate rap, i'm a rocker %26amp; i'm white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus scan